Press and Communications Manager
Opera Theatre’s Press and Communications Manager is a critical member of the company’s marketing team, reporting to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations, and is responsible for managing the seasonal PR & Communications Intern. This position acts as a public representative of Opera Theatre via press and is responsible for cultivating and managing press relationships, developing and implementing a year-round PR strategy, and leading Opera Theatre’s efforts with local and national media. They are responsible for the creation of copy in marketing collateral including direct mail and print materials, leading program ad sales, and providing inter-departmental communication surrounding events and activities throughout the year. Responsibilities include:
- Develop year-round media relations strategy for press that aligns with the company’s overarching marketing, PR, and advancement goals, including the identification and cultivation of all media relationships, and the tracking of media relations KPIs;
- Facilitate media coverage by crafting and delivering pitches, coordinating press conferences and cultivation events, scheduling interviews and media appearances, managing press ticket requests, and overseeing arrangements for visiting press;
- Serve as primary contact for all media inquiries and artists’ publicists;
- Develop and implement annual media buy strategy, in collaboration with the Director of Marketing & PR;
- Develop press releases and media advisories;
- Contract and manage a clippings service to implement a thorough OTSL press archive.
- Work with the Digital Marketing Manager as requested to support content creation for marketing emails and monthly e-newsletters;
- Solicit and maintain a seasonal artist database of unique press opportunities and community engagement interests for interdepartmental consideration;
- Maintain internal communications protocol for Opera Theatre staff and artists for press coverage and community events.
- Develop copy for OTSL print materials – including production marketing blurbs, brochures, postcards, flyers, letters, program book editorial, annual report, and advertisements;
- Source, route, and revise copy for interdepartmental projects as needed;
- Provide final proofreading for all external publications;
- Contract any necessary copy management systems;
- Maintain and update the OTSL style guide for interdepartmental use;
- Measure success of print collateral through ROI analyses.
Program Ad Sales
- Develop and execute an ad sales strategy for OTSL’s 160-page annual program book, in collaboration with Director of Marketing and PR;
- Identify and execute plans to increase advertising revenue, including developing prospect lists of new advertisers;
- Serve as the primary liaison for all advertising inquiries and sales, tracking and managing the program ad sales process and revenue projections;
- Coordinate with the Graphic Designer to accurately manage advertising inventory across the book development process.
Required Skills, Experience, Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree, communications or related degree preferred;
- 2 or more years working in public relations (entertainment, non-profit, or performing arts preferred);
- Experience in successfully creating and executing PR strategy;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Experience in managing budgets.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- The ability to work as a team player;
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through;
- Familiarity with the St. Louis press landscape;
- Enthusiasm to identify new partners and actively participate in local conversations;
- A strong interest in building relationships with media partners;
- Knowledge of the operatic repertoire preferred;
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume and a letter that describes their interest in Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and outlines experience and qualifications for the position.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Anh Le, Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no calls, please)
About Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2019, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 28 world premieres and 27 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10.8 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget. Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of 35, which increases to approximately 500 during the Festival Season.
Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, and veteran or disability status.