Opera Theatre, known for a spring festival of inventive new productions, is proud to be among the leading American opera companies, and we are grateful to you – our audience and all our contributors – for fostering this special experience.
Our productions attract some of the most brilliant stars (and future stars) of our generation to sing in our intimate theater, accompanied by members of the extraordinary St. Louis Symphony.
Opera Theatre has a long tradition not only of discovering the finest young singers, but also of promoting the work of living American librettists and composers. As of the 2019 season, Opera Theatre has presented 28 world premieres and 27 American premieres – which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any U.S. company.
Opera Theatre’s mission is to shape the future of opera and to connect diverse audiences through its power and beauty. To accomplish our mission, we produce a world-class opera festival, we champion new works, we build new audiences, we educate and engage our community, and we nurture the finest opera artists, artisans, and administrators of each generation. By doing so, we strengthen the cultural and economic vitality of the St. Louis community.
Our Core Values:
- Creating, interpreting, and performing world-class opera productions combining great music and great theater.
- Identifying and nurturing outstanding artistic, technical, and managerial talent.
- Assuring meticulous preparation for each production.
- Casting emerging and established singers who are vocally and dramatically appropriate to their roles.
- Continuous improvement: constantly assessing ways to improve our work.
- Offering a diverse repertory that encompasses standard operas, contemporary operas, and new works in a variety of production styles ranging from traditional to avant-garde.
- Championing opera in the language of the audience.
- Creating a festival setting that is engaging, accessible, and exciting.
- Welcoming audience, artists, staff, volunteers, and board members as colleagues in a creative adventure.
- Presenting high quality year-round education and community engagement programs whose effectiveness enhances the vitality and connectedness of our community.
- Strengthening the economy of the region with employment opportunities, support for local businesses, and appeal as a destination for national and international tourists.
- Developing partnerships with local businesses, educational institutions, arts companies, and other organizations to extend the quality and reach of our offerings and leverage our unique resources within and beyond the company.
- Creating new opportunities through education and exposure to unique career possibilities.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Ensuring varied programming for a broad range of people.
- Reflecting the diversity of our community in our audience, staff, board, volunteers, and supporters.
- Fostering respect, appreciation, and common purpose across differences in age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity, religion, ability, and creed.
- Supporting new approaches and new works.
- Developing the next generation of artists and audiences through exceptional professional development and community engagement.
- Sustaining artistic vitality through responsible financial stewardship.
- Creating a joyful and stimulating environment in which artists, staff, volunteers, and audiences alike will thrive.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis is funded in part by the Regional Arts Commission, Arts and Education Council, National Endowment for the Arts, and the Missouri Arts Council. Opera Theatre gratefully acknowledges Webster University for its sustaining partnership.