Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from more than 45 states and multiple countries. Opera Theatre operates year-round education and outreach programs serving approximately 13,000 local children and 4,000 adults. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $9 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of operating income.
The Development Associate position will be a new addition to the development team and will:
Draft written materials for department, including:
- Solicitation and acknowledgment letters for chairman, general director, and director of development;
- Corporate proposal materials.
Assist with fundraising events and donor cultivation/acknowledgment events, including:
- Event planning and logistics;
- Communication with event vendors;
- Communication with event hosts and guests;
- Onsite staffing of events.
Oversee the department budget, including:
- Tracking expenses of more than $700,000 for the development department;
- Coding all department expenditures and requesting payments as needed;
- Using accounting software to track expenditures and alert department head to any unusual trends.
- Manage ongoing prospect research for donors at all levels.
- Serve as additional staff support for daily gift entry and acknowledgment process when needed.
- Assist with ongoing administrative work for the department, including appointment setting, filing, and meeting preparation.
- Assist department staff with other projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- 1-3 years of experience in fund-raising, arts management, or related field;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to work with many individuals in differing capacities (volunteers, major donors, staff and vendors);
- Extraordinary attention to detail;
- Demonstrated skill in managing projects with overlapping deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheets required, experience with donor database software preferred;
- A team-oriented approach and an interest in the arts;
- An ability to work evening and weekend hours at key times during the year.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Nicole Ambos Freber, Director of Development
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, 210 Hazel Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63119-7910
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, and veteran or disability status. 9/2013